Quinoa Mango Salad
Recipe Yields 4 servings
- 1/2 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 large mango diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- juice and zest of one lime
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa (1/2 cup) in a mesh sieve until water runs clear. Transfer to a medium pot and cover with 1 cup water and a pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Turn off heat, allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the zest and juice of one lime, the olive oil (1/4 cup), and kosher salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, rinse under cold water in a mesh sieve until completely cool. Shake off as much excess water as possible.
- Add the cooked quinoa, mango, tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, and onion to the bowl with the dressing and toss to coat.
- For best results, allow to refrigerate for 1 hour before serving to let the flavors marry.
For a heartier meal: add black beans, chickpeas, avocado, chicken, or steak to the salad.
Time saving tip: prep other ingredients while quinoa is cooking.
Recipe by Elizabeth Linderman