Nicole Moretta, MS, RD, CDN, offers us some healthier Super Bowl ready recipies!
Three Bean Vegetable Chili
Serves 6 as a meal, 8 as a side or snack
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· ½ large onion, diced
· 2 carrots, diced
· 1 red bell pepper, chopped
· 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
· 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
· 1½ tablespoons chili powder
· 2 teaspoons ground cumin
· 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
· 1 can (28 ounces) no-salt added diced tomatoes
· 1 cup water
· 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
· 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
· 1 can (15 ounces) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
· ½ teaspoon sea salt
· Fresh cilantro
· Chopped scallions
Heat oil in large saucepan or stockpot. Add onions, carrots, bell peppers, garlic, and jalapeño and cook until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
Add dry spices (chili powder, cumin, and oregano), and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Add canned tomatoes including juices, water, beans, and salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
Serve garnished with chopped cilantro and scallions.
Cheesy Cauliflower Dip
· 1 medium sized head raw cauliflower, coarsely chopped (about 3-4 cups)
· 2 cloves garlic
· ½ cup whole milk Greek yogurt
· 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing baking dish
· 1 scant tsp Dijon mustard
· Pinch of salt
· ¾ cup grated gruyere cheese, divided
· 3-4 chopped scallions, divided
· ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
· Whole grain crackers, celery sticks, and/or apples to serve
In a large pot of salted water, simmer the cauliflower and garlic until soft (about 10 minutes). Drain the veggies and transfer to a blender or food processor. Allow the cauliflower to cook before proceeding. Add yogurt, olive oil, mustard, salt, and ½ cup cheese to the cauliflower and blend until smooth.
Transfer the dip into an oiled, oven safe dish and top with remaining cheese, half the chopped scallions and red pepper flakes. Bake in preheated 450 degree oven until cheese is melted and golden brown (about 15 minutes). Top with the remaining scallions and serve warm with crackers, celery sticks, and sliced apples.
No Bake Energy Bites
· 1 cup of uncooked oats
· ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
· ¼ cup flax meal
· 2/3 cup natural nut butter (no added sugar)
· 1 tsp vanilla
· 2 Tbsp raw honey
· 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and roll into 24 balls.
If mixture is too sticky try putting in the refrigerator for about an hour.
Caramel apple nachos
· 4 large apples, sliced to about ½ inch thick slices
· 2 Tbsp smooth natural peanut butter, melted until smooth
· 1 Tbsp caramel topping (in a jar is fine)
· 1 Tbsp dark chocolate mini chips
· 2 Tbsp chopped pecans
· 2 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
Arrange apple slices in a single layer on a large platter. In a glass dish, melt the peanut butter in the microwave for about 15 seconds and stir until smooth and pourable. Drizzle apples with melted peanut butter and caramel. Top with mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, and coconut. Serve immediately so the apples do not brown.
- Nicole Moretta, IHG Nutritionist
3671 Southwestern Blvd.
Suites 101 & 213
Orchard Park, NY 14127-1752
(716) 662-7008 Office
(716) 662-5226 Fax
Open Today 7:45am - 5:00pm
Calls Accepted 9:00am - 4:30pm
View Office Hours by Practitioner